13 Young Street, Golden Point
This is a substantially intact Victorian residence in a row of Victorian residences. The roof would have originally been clad in corrugated galvanised iron but at some later date this was replaced with ceramic tiles. This roof cladding was not in keeping with the style of the building and was detracting from its street appearance.
In August 2015, the VHRF Committee of Management offered a grant of $7,000 towards the replacement of the existing tile roof to the main house and verandah. The funding allowed the owner to replace the roof with corrugated galvanised iron to match the original. The roof of the verandah was also returned to its original convex hipped profile.
The works have returned the building to its original appearance and improved the appearance of the heritage streetscape of Young Street.
141 – 145 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy
This historic building was constructed in c. 1899 and originally operated as Pearce’s Great Drapery Warehouse.
In March 2014, the VHRF Committee of Management agreed to offer a grant of $32,000 towards reconstruction of the shop front configuration based on a historical image of the building found at the State Library of Victoria.
The ground floor façade reconstruction has transformed the appearance of the building and considerably enhances the historic streetscape.
519 Dryburgh Street, North Melbourne
The building at 519 Dryburgh Street, North Melbourne is a large two story elaborately decorated polychrome brick detached house with a two level cast iron double return verandah and hipped and slated roofs. The verandah is splayed at the corner, with twin duplex posts. The friezes are panelled with finished brackets and fringing.
In August 2015, the VHRF Committee of Management agreed to offer a grant of $20,000 towards the cost of restoration and reinstatement of the Curzon Street verandah. This section of the verandah is the most visible and was in danger of further loss of original fabric through collapse.
The works have prevented further loss of significant fabric and have greatly improved the appearance of the building in the Curzon Street streetscape.
241 Lygon Street, Carlton
This is a single story Victorian Shop in the main shopping precinct in Lygon Street, Carlton. It has a tall rendered parapet with decoration matching the adjacent shop. The verandah to the front is simple with timber posts and a deep timber fascia. It also has the original timber valence on the side. The timber verandah is a rare surviving original example in Lygon Street.
The structure of the verandah was compromised by age and the deterioration of one of the original posts. The VHRF Committee offered a grant of $8,000 towards the cost of reconstruction and repair works to the verandah.
The works have retained as much original fabric as possible and retained the original appearance so the verandah remains as an early intact example of a timber verandah in Lygon Street.
Clifton Villa, 208 Winter Street, Buninyong
Clifton Villa is a picturesque Victorian Gothic style red brick residence. The main features are the elaborate fretwork to gables, decorative verandah and highly distinctive paired chimneys with round profiles, brick patterning and circular brick capping. A pair of the distinctive chimneys and the gable end fretwork was in a deteriorated state.
In February 2015, the VHRF Committee of Management agreed to offer a grant of $2,000 for chimney repair and a grant of $8,400 towards timber fretwork restoration to the three front gable ends. The works were completed in February in 2016, and have improved the appearance of this building to ensure the longevity of these important decorative features.
60 Fergie Street, North Fitzroy
This is one of a pair of two storey decorative Hawthorn brick terraces with cream brick patterning across the entire façade. The terraces have a render cornice and parapet with a rectangular pediment and festoons to the cornice. The verandahs have case iron friezes (missing to No. 60) and a cast iron lacework balustrade.
The VHRF Committee of Management offered $6,500 towards verandah frieze reinstatement and tessellated tile reinstatement to the verandah floor and path. The works involve the reinstatement of the case iron frieze to the verandah at both levels and reinstatement of tessellated tiling to the verandag floor and entry path. The cast iron frieze will match the adjacent terrace at 58 Fergie Street, which is a pair with this terrace. The owner has provided evidence that the tessellated tiling to the verandah floor and path was an original feature of the terrace. The pattern of tiling for replacement has been designed to match the original tile pattern as closely as possible.
35 Ivan Street, North Fitzroy
This is a double fronted, detached brick Victorian terrace house. There was evidence of former tuck pointing to the front, which was in a visibly deteriorated condition.
In August 2015, the VHRF Committee of Management agreed to offer a grant of $5,000 towards the cost of re-tuckpointing the front façade at this property.
The work has revealed and enhanced the bi-chrome brickwork and has greatly improved the streetscape appearance of the building.
Pelaco Sign, 21-31 Goodwood Street, Richmond
The PELACO Sign was erected in 1939 on top of the PELACO Company’s factory in Goodwood St, Richmond. The sign, a large double sided sky sign with individual box letters illuminated in neon, is historically significant for its associations with PELACO, the best known shirt manufacturer in Australia.
The PELACO sign is socially important with its size and prominence symbolising the dominant role played by the PELACO Company in Australia as a shirt manufacturer. The sign also symbolises the social and economic importance of Richmond as an industrial suburb and its importance in the heartland of Victoria’s clothing and textile industry.
The VHRF Committee agreed to offer a grant of $50,000 towards fabrication, supply and reinstatement of new letters. The works have reinstated an iconic feature of the Richmond skyline in accordance with the Heritage Victoria permit.
20 Wimble Street, Parkville
In June 2014, the VHRF Committee of Management agreed to offer a grant of $4,000 towards the cost of paint removal and tuckpointing of the front façade at this property. There was evidence that tuckpoining was intact under the paintwork. The paint removal has revealed the bi-colour brickwork, which has been further enhanced by the touching up of the tuckpointing.
99 Stanley Street, West Melbourne
This is one of a pair of simply designed single story terraces built circa 1877. There was evidence of former tuck pointing to the front, which was in a visibly deteriorated condition. In November 2015, the VHRF Committee of Management agreed to offer a grant of $11,000 towards the cost of brick repairs, sill reinstatement and re-tuckpointing of the front façade at this property.
The works have lifted the appearance of this building as viewed from the street. The front façade has been fully restored to its original appearance and condition.
Ross House, 247 Flinders Lane, Melbourne
Ross House is the remaining section of an extensive six storey brick warehouse which extended from Flinders Street to Flinders Lane and which was erected in 1898-1900. Ross House, which was named Royston House in 1929 following its acquisition and conversion to offices by the State Electricity Commission of Victoria, has been maintained intact externally, although the basement and ground floor to the Manchester Lane elevation were reconstructed with reinforced concrete in the 1930s.
Ross House is architecturally significant as a transitional and highly unusual design incorporating ideas from the American Romanesque style developed by HH Richardson in America. The massiveness of the plinth, the huge Romanesque brick arches and the overhanging cornice is offset by the delicacy of the metal oriel windows and the caryatides. Ross House also demonstrates early design concerns for specific fire prevention measures in multi-storey buildings, such as the sprinkler system and fireproof doors. The recessing of the oriel windows was a fire prevention measure adopted from England.
In March 2014 the VHRF Committee of Management offered a grant of $20,000 to assist with façade works to Ross House, which consisted of repairs to northern and western facades including cleaning and repairing damaged sandstone, lead flashing to projecting cornices and detail work to ornamentation.
550 – 552 Queensbury Street, Carlton
In June 2014, the VHRF Committee of Management offered a grant of $12,000 towards the reinstatement of the cast iron verandah. The verandah design, which has been approved by the City of Melbourne is of a standard North Melbourne type already applied to a number of commercial buildings in the area.
The verandah reinstatement works greatly enhances the presentation of this building and contributes to improving the heritage appearance of the Queensberry Street streetscape.
320A Learmonth Street, Buninyong
This is a commercial building located within the town centre of Buninyong. It is a two storey red brick building dating from circa 1890 with a shop at ground level and residence above. The original roof is a prominent feature of the commercial streetscape and was in a deteriorated state requiring complete replacement.
In February 2015, the VHRF Committee of Management agreed to offer a grant of $6,500 for roof replacement works to original galvanised iron specifications. The works, which were completed in September 2016, have greatly improved the appearance of this building as viewed in the main street of Buninyong and will prevent further water ingress and damage to original brickwork.
208-210 Sturt St, Ballarat
This is a three storey building completed in 1869 as a warehouse for Messrs. L.S. Christie & Co (drapers). It has a classically rendered façade with decorative pilasters, cornices and window mouldings. The existing render to the façade had hairline cracking to the entire façade and was causing water ingress.
In November 2015, the VHRF Committee agreed to offer a grant of $40,000 towards the cost of render repairs and repainting after repairs. The works have restored the appearance of the property and halted water ingress through the rendered façade and parapet. The works also greatly improve the appearance of the building in the Sturt Street streetscape.
35 Lothian Street, North Melbourne
This is a double fronted bi-chrome Victorian brick residence located close to the street frontage. The building features arched windows with cream brick quoins to the openings and corners, a cast iron palisade fence and a cast iron verandah. There was evidence of former tuckpointing to the front, which was in a visibly deteriorated condition. There was also visibly deteriorated mortar and some unsightly cement rich repairs that required removal and repointing.
In February 2015, the VHRF Committee of Management agreed to offer a grant of $6,500 towards the cost of re-tuckpointing the front façade of the property. The work was undertaken during June and July 2016. The works involved re-mortaring and tuck pointing the front elevation.
Given the building is close to the street tuck pointing of the façade has greatly improved the streetscape appearance of the property.
39 George St, Ballarat East
This is a single storey weatherboard Inter-War Bungalow. Features of note include the dominant gable roof, bay window to the front gable wing and timber framed windows.
In February 2016, the VHRF Committee of Management offered a grant of $6000 towards the replacement of the existing roof with corrugated galvanised iron matching the existing short sheets.
The works have ensured that the building is now water tight and improved the appearance of the building in the heritage streetscape of George Street.
Glendalough Terrace, 480-482 Abbotsford Street, North Melbourne
In November 2014, the VHRF Committee of Management agreed to offer a grant of $3,000 towards the cost of original door reinstatement to the corner building of the Abbotsford Street terrace. The works involved new panels and sidelights, panel timber door and decorative timber pediment above the door to match others in the row of Glendalough Terrace.
The door reinstatement has been completed to a high standard and matches those on the adjoining terraces. The reinstated door improves the streetscape appearance of the building.
195 – 199 Drummond Street, Carlton
This is a row of three, three storey terraces, which originally had pediments to the parapet and cast iron frieze and balustrade to the balconies and corbelling and urns to the wing walls. The terrace at 199 Drummond Street is the most altered and has been re-styled in circa 1950.
The owners were proposing a suite of works to return the terraces to their original Victorian appearance. The works were based on historical research and documentation prepared by Andronas Conservation Architects. In June 2014 the VHRF Committee agreed to offer a grant of $8,500 towards render works, involving the replacement of urns, pediments and corbels to the parapet.
These works as well as other works being undertaken by the owners have greatly improved the appearance of the row of terraces and returned them to their original Victorian appearance in this significant Drummond Street streetscape.
16 Gordon Street, Clifton Hill
This residence is a detached single storey terrace. It is Italianate in style with a decorative parapet with a pediment. The front façade was rendered at some later date, but its adjacent pair indicated that it originally had bichrome face brickwork to the front.
The VHRF Committee of Management agreed to offer a grant of $4,000 towards tuckpointing.
The render removal and tuckpointing has transformed the streetscape appearance of the building and it now matches its original pair once again.
472 Rae Street, Fitzroy North
This is an elegant double fronted brick Edwardian house. The building is substantially intact and demonstrates interesting Edwardian features such as the gable roofed projecting wing with bay window and gable with half timbering and brackets. The front verandah has turned timber posts and an unusual deep timber frieze. The building is contributory in the North Fitzroy Precinct HO327. The tall brick fence substantially detracted from the appearance of the property in the streetscape.
In February 2016, the VHRF Committee of Management agreed to offer a grant of $12,000 towards the cost of fence replacement, roof replacement in corrugated galvanised iron and mortar and tuckpointing.
The works have transformed the street appearance of this property and returned it to its former glory. The replacement of the fence with a permeable fence more sympathetic to the style of the dwelling demonstrates the positive impact an appropriate fence can make on the streetscape views in a Heritage Overlay Precinct. Payment of the grant can now be made in accordance with the agreement between the applicant and VHRF.
393 Wellington Street, Clifton Hill
This is one of a pair of single storey Victorian brick terraces with a slate roof. It has bi-chromatic brickwork including to the wing walls. The terraces are particularly decorative with a curved wing walls, render moldings and brackets, original cast iron fence and verandah frieze and decorative brickwork to the eaves.
In May 2016, the VHRF Committee of Management agreed to offer a grant of $4,500 towards tuckpointing the front façade, above verandah and wing walls.
The works were completed in June and July 2016 and were undertaken by Mortar and Surface Restoration. The works have lifted the appearance of this building as viewed from the street. The front façade has now been fully restored to its original appearance and condition.
688 Drummond St, Carlton North
This is one of four single storey terraces constructed between 1905 and 1908. The single fronted Federation terrace has render banding to the façade and a decorative render parapet. The building also features a pair of tall narrow windows and a verandah across the front with a cast iron frieze.
There were remnants of the original black tuckpointing however this was in a visibly deteriorated state with some sections of tuckpointing missing. The VHRF Committee of Management agreed to offer a grant of $5,000 towards the cost of re-pointing the front façade, side walls and brick fence pillars.
The tuckpointing has greatly improved the appearance of the building in the streetscape.
125 Nelson Place, Williamstown
This is a Victorian two storey corner commercial building in Nelson Place, Williamstown.
The VHRF Committee of Management agreed to offer a grant of $10,000 for final works to reinstate the verandah including roofing and guttering.
The reinstated verandah greatly enhances the building and the Nelson Place streetscape. The façade of the building has also been restored greatly improving the appearance of the building.
604 Sebastopol Street, Ballarat
This is a single storey Victorian weatherboard cottage in Ballarat. It has a double hipped roof running parallel to the street and a hipped verandah roof. The building remains remarkably intact and retains its original front appearance with verandah, central front door and double hung windows either side.
In August 2015, the VHRF Committee of Management offered a grant of $6,000 towards the cost of galvanised corrugated iron roof replacement with the original galvanizing specifications.
The works, which were completed in March 2016, have improved the appearance of this building and will assist in protecting the original timber fabric of the building.
6 Erin Street, Richmond
The property at 6 Erin Street is one of a pair of Victorian two storey terraces. The terraces were built in 1870 and feature tall decorative render parapets with a central pediment with a balustrade either side. The terraces are substantially intact and also feature a cast iron decorative balustrade to the upper verandah, a cast iron palisade fence to the street and fine render detailing around the windows and doors. The terrace is a contributory building in the West Richmond Heritage Overlay.
The grant application was for repair and reinstatement of the render balustrade to the parapet. The existing steel lintel on one side of the balustrade was corroding and pushing render off the parapet.
In November 2016, the VHRF Committee of Management agreed to offer a grant of $10,000 towards repair and reinstatement of the deteriorated parapet.
The works involved like for like repairs to return the parapet to its original appearance and further collapse and resulting water ingress has been halted.